David Ray Wilkerson (May 19, 1931 – April 27, 2011) was an evangelist and the founder of Teen Challenge, Inc., the worldwide Christian drug and alcohol rehabilitation ministry.
He was also the founding pastor of non-denominational Times Square Church in New York. He is best known for his books The Cross and the Switchblade, The Vision, Revival on Broadway, America’s Last Call, God’s Plan to Protect His People in the Coming Depression (which I highly recommend) and many other books. He used to say that: “You can’t do everything, but you can do something,”
His sermons are known for being direct and frank against apostasy and serious about making the commitment to obey the teachings of Jesus Christ. He emphasized living in holiness, righteously and showing God’s love towards all people. He avoided categorizing Christians into denominations.
He did not preach in the name of any specific denomination. Instead, he focused on biblical preaching with the aim of encouraging people to seek God through a personal and deeper knowledge of Jesus Christ and the experience of the Holy Spirit. He said:
I am not preaching some denominational doctrine; this church does not belong to any denomination. We are not Assemblies of God, we are not Baptist, we’re not Methodist, and we’re not Catholic. We’re just Holy Ghost people believing the Bible.
In a recently released new book by His son and partner in ministry, Gary Wilkerson writes:
For reasons of his own, he had turned down every invitation from a U.S president to visit the White House, but he would drive hundreds of miles out of the way during an evangelism tour so he could meet an obscure nun who had written something about Christ that had moved him……Always, he saw the world and those around him through the lens of eternity.
David Wilkerson Prophecy 1973
David Wilkerson had a series of visions and angelic visitations from the Lord in 1973 and during his life time until his death in 2011, regarding the future of the United States. He subsequently published these prophecies in a book called The Vision outlining the coming collapse of the U.S. economy and the destruction of America. He said:
In the economic collapse there will be riots and fires all across major cities in this nation. This will be a time of great apostasy and persecution in the church like never before. After the economic collapse of the United States the nation will be at its weakest point. A hydrogen holocaust will then sweep this nation in a Russian invasion of America. When Israel sees the destruction of America Russia will try to invade the Holy Land where 5/6th of the army’s of Russia will be destroyed by Jesus Himself.
Worldwide recession caused by economic confusion
1. “At most a few more fat flourishing years, and then an economic recession that’s going to affect the life style of every wage-earner in the world. The world economists are going to be at loss to explain what’s happening. It’s going to start in Europe, spread to Japan and finally to the United States.” 2. There will be a move toward a worldwide, unified monetary system. The US dollar will be hit bad and it will take years for it to recover. 3. The only real security will be in real estate (until a somewhat later stage, at which point this apparent security will also disappear).
Nature having labour pains
1. Environmentalists will come under heavy criticism. 2. There will be major earthquakes. 3. There will be a major famine. 4. Floods, hurricanes and tornadoes will increase in frequency. 5. “A new kind of cosmic storm appearing as a raging fire in the sky leaving a kind of vapour trail.”
A flood of filth and a baptism of dirt in America
1. Topless women will appear on television, followed by full nudity. 2. Adult, X rated movies will be shown on cable television. Young people will gather at homes to watch this kind of material in groups. 3. Sex and the occult will be mixed. 4. There will be an acceptance of homosexuality, and the church will even say that it is a God-given gift.
Rebellion in the home
1. “I see the new number one youth problem in America and the world as hatred towards parents.”
A Persecution madness against truly Spirit filled Christians who love Jesus Christ
1. There will arise a world church consisting of a union between liberal ecumenical Protestants and the Roman Catholic Church, using Christ in name only. 2. There will be a hate Christ movement. 3. There will be a spiritual awakening behind the Iron and Bamboo Curtains.
Others 1. There will be another wave of riots. 2. There will be a fall in moral conduct. 3. There will be a new drug that will be popular with teenagers that will break down resistance and will encourage sexual activity. 4. Homosexual and lesbian ministers will be ordained and this will be heralded as a new breed of pioneers. 5. There will be nude dancing in church, but this will never be widespread. 6. There will be occult practices in churches.